Saturday, March 29, 2014

Honey, you're home!

So earlier this week, I won a rattie shuttle from West Pine Creations. Well, today Honey arrived!

Having crawled out of her pouch, Honey begins her search for thread.

Honey is adorable. She's the first flat shuttle I've ever had an opportunity to use, and thus far she has been quite nice to tat with. The little pouch she came in is really cute, and will provide Honey with a soft place to rest when she's not tatting.

Having found some thread, Honey prepares to tat.

Winding Honey was quite interesting. I like how she holds the thread, and how she fits in my hand while tatting. Honey maneuvers around the working thread very well, and is able to work both halves of the double stitch with ease.
Now, what did my cat think of Honey? Well...

Undaunted by swishing tail, Honey greets the gray cat.

Though at first uncertain of the little rattie, my cat has decided to accept Honey into the family.
I'm thankful for the opportunity to give Honey a home, and hope that she will enjoy tatting with me!

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Charming motifs

Today I have two pieces to show you.

Done in size 10. Motif #3. Done in a light blue and a mint green.

This pattern is from Tatting Patterns, by Julia E. Sanders. Called figure 13, this trimming was interesting to tat because the picture was not on the same page as the pattern. I like these two colors together, and the pattern was fun. In the picture, it looked like most of the chains were facing the same way, so that's what I tried to do.
Weaving in the ends was interesting. I'm slowly figuring out what works best for me with hiding the ends.

Done in size 20, size 80, and sewing thread. Motif #4.

This is one of those uncommon pieces that I set out to make for myself. It started off when I decided to tat Marilee Rockley's Compass Pendant (bottom center, done in Lizbeth size 20, #684 and #694), from her Tatted Jewelry book. After I made it, I thought to myself, what would you like to do with this? How about a charm bracelet!
So I grabbed some thread, and tatted a doodle that looks a little like an anchor (top right, done in Lizbeth size 20, #647).
After that, I decided that the bracelet needed a hat. Because I love hats. I haven't posted very many of them, but usually when I pick up a shuttle and begin tatting without a particular pattern in mind, I end up making either butterflies or hats. (Bottom right, done in Lizbeth size 20, #115).
Then, because I like video games, I decided to tat a pokeball and the Triforce (from Pokemon and the Legend of Zelda, respectively). For the Triforce, I used a cloverleaf from a motif in The Complete Book of Tatting, by Rebecca Jones. The pokeball was another doodle I made up. (Triforce: bottom left, done in gold sewing thread. Pokeball: left, done in Lizbeth size 80, #671 and #601).
The last charm is a key. Because I collect keys, and think that keys are cool. I just made it up as I went. The blade of the key ended up looking kind of like a R, which is kind of neat. (Right, done in Lizbeth size 20, #691).
I weaved in the ends with each charm, which was interesting. I had to change to a smaller needle for the pokeball and Triforce.
The chain that the charms are on was from my jewelry making supplies, along with the clasp. So it is just the right fit for my wrist!

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

The dragon and the roses

I meant to post these half a week ago, after my niece's birthday.
I suppose this does count as after, so let's get to the hair clips!

Done in size 10, in my niece's favorite colors.

These were a surprising amount of work. The pattern is Tatted Rose, by Linda S Davies.
Now, the main reason that these were on the more difficult side for me is that I decided to sew the petals together instead of gluing them. I thought that since they were going to an energetic little girl, the sturdier they were, the better.
Besides, it meant that I had to practice my sewing ability (which although not horrible, is incredibly slow and tiresome).
My niece seemed to like them, so that's what counts.

Another thing I've been meaning to post is motif number two for the the 25 Motif Challenge!

I am the jade dragon! Motif #2, done in size 10.

Now this fellow was interesting. The Chinese Dragon by Anne Bruvold is another pattern that I've had sitting in a file for quite some time. I'm not sure that I'll be tatting this particular pattern again for at least a few months; since I found it to be strangely monotonous. But I am pleased to have finished it, and enjoyed the self closing mock rings in the pattern.
This dragon was also my first attempt at hiding the ends by weaving them through the stitches. It took some time, but I like how the tatting looks without an obvious knot marking where I ended.
I think I'll continue hiding the ends using this method, despite the time it takes.
I'm going to try and have each motif for the challenge be something I haven't tatted before. It is an extra little challenge, but I think it will add to the fun!