Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Tatted amigurumi

What is amigurumi?
Well, it is Japanese for "knitted or crocheted stuffed doll." Wikipedia has an article about it that talks about the technique and purpose, so if you're interested in making something like this, feel free to study up on it. Now, you may be wondering why I began this post with talk of a art that is made through knitting and crocheting. That's because you can make something similar with tatting!

A tatted hero's quest begins.

By mainly using rows of chains and joining them together, you can make a doll very similar to a amigurumi doll.  I did use about twenty-one rings in making this, but for the most part this pattern used chains.



I based the doll off of the character Link from the Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.
He stands about four and a half inches tall. The hair was made by cutting long picots and unraveling the thread, then trimming until the hair was the length I wanted. The eyes and tongue are rings made with only one double stitch for the former and three double stitches for the latter. All thread is size 10.
I'm quite pleased with how this turned out, and hope that my niece will like it when I give it to her for her birthday. She saw my first attempt at making a doll based off of this character and asked if I would make one for her too. I nodded my head, deciding that I would do my best to make her's awesome.

Unfortunately, I looked like one of Santa's helpers.
I think I succeeded in making my niece's birthday present look more like the character then my original attempt at a tatted doll. It took a lot of work, but I hope that they can go on some amazing adventures together.

No comments:

Post a Comment